White-tailed deer, the most widely hunted species, are very sensitive to human scent. Following these tips (which also apply to Sitka black-tailed deer) may help you be more successful on your hunts.
- Stay clean and as free of human scent as possible while hunting.
- Avoid using fragrant soaps and perfumes.
- Consider wearing hunting clothing manufactured with special carbon-treated fabric that absorbs human scent.
- Consider using one of the many commercially manufactured products available for scent and odor elimination that can be sprayed onto clothing prior to going into the field.
- Avoid washing hunting clothes with highly fragrant laundry detergents. Numerous brands of “scent-free” detergents are available for washing hunting clothing. Also avoid clothing detergents that contain UV brighteners because many animals can detect UV light that makes clothing brighter.
- Hunt from a tree stand to keep human scent above a deer’s nose. However, be mindful of wind currents that may carry your scent down to your quarry.