Respect Your Equipment
It is essential to use equipment appropriate for the game you are hunting. Many problems in the field are solved easily if you are knowledgeable and prepared.
- Select a crossbow that is properly fitted to you and that meets the legal and ethical requirements of the game you plan to hunt.
- Ensure that your equipment is in good operating condition. Make a habit of conducting a pre-hunt inspection of your equipment before each trip. Re-inspect your equipment upon arrival at your hunt location.
- Purchase arrows that are appropriate for your crossbow. Mismatching equipment can lead to poor accuracy, safety problems, and possible injury to you.
- Make sure that the arrows are straight and that their points are sharp and matched to the game you’re pursuing.
- Tune your crossbow to the equipment (such as broadheads) you will be using for hunting.
- Assemble a repair and maintenance kit with spare parts and tools. Your local archery pro shop can recommend items for your kit and give instructions on basic maintenance.